How to Urge Congress to Renew the H-2B Returning Worker Exemption
Friday, February 17, 2017
The H-2B Workforce Coalition continues to urge Congress to renew the H-2B returning worker exemption so that seasonal businesses will not be shut out of the H-2B program in the spring and summer. We need your continued help in urging Congress to act on this critical issue. You can use the attached talking points when reaching out to your Representative and Senators.
Congress will be on recess all next week, which means lawmakers will be back in their home states. Many elected officials will have listening sessions or town hall meetings. If your Representative or Senator has a public meeting, please consider attending and raising the importance of renewing the H-2B returning worker exemption. It is also a good time to make an appointment to meet with your elected officials to meet in their district offices.
In addition, please call your Senators and Representative and ask them to renew the H-2B returning worker exemption immediately. If you do not know their direct numbers, you can reach them through the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 225-3121. Once connected to the office, ask to speak to the person who handles H-2B issues and stress the immediate need to renew the returning worker exemption. Congress must understand that failure to renew the exemption will result in American job losses.
Finally, please continue to tweet at your Senators and Representative using #SaveH2B. You can find their twitter addresses at: https://twitter.com/verified/lists/us-congress/members.
Some sample tweets are below:
- H-2B 1st Cap Hit! Congress must renew the H-2B returning worker exemption now! #saveH2B
- 82% of H-2B visa workers are returning workers – proof that they are treated well. #saveH2B
- The H-2B program relies on workers who come to the U.S. for seasonal work, then go home. #saveH2B
- Every H-2B worker creates and sustains 4.64 American jobs. Renew the H-2B returning worker exemption now! #saveH2B
- #saveH2B and save American Jobs! Renew the H-2B returning worker exemption now!
- H-2B program = more American jobs. Renew the H-2B returning worker exemption now. #saveH2B
- H-2B workers support American jobs. Renew the H-2B returning worker exemption now #saveH2B
- Save the spring and summer. Renew the H-2B returning worker exemption now! #saveH2B