Urgent H-2B Action Needed!
Monday, June 6, 2016
Posted by: Julie Hill
Your help is urgently needed to counter negative attacks on the H-2B program.
There will be a significant amount of activity in Congress next week related to the H-2B program and we need your help.
This Wednesday, June 8, the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration and the National Interest, Chaired by Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL), will hold a hearing entitled “The H-2B Temporary Foreign Worker Program: Examining the Effects on Americans’ Job Opportunities and Wages.” We expect the chairman to use this opportunity to spread erroneous allegations that the H-2B program takes away American jobs, represses wages and that the program is fraught with abuse. To counter these charges, we hope you will do the following to set the record straight and explain that the H-2B PROGRAM CREATES AMERICAN JOBS.
What Can You Do?
- Please consider coming to the hearing to show your support. We hope to have a strong showing of H-2B workers and employers to demonstrate that the program creates American jobs. The hearing details are below.
The H-2B Temporary Foreign Worker Program: Examining the Effects on Americans’ Job Opportunities and Wages
Subcommittee on Immigration and the National Interest
Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2016
Time: 2:30 PM
Location: Dirksen Senate Office Building 226
- Please submit a written testimony and submit it to Senator Tillis who will submit it for the hearing record. The testimony can be a simple statement on your letterhead or from a worker about the program and its importance to American workers. The testimony should be emailed by the close of business Tuesday to: Courtney_Temple@tillis.senate.gov.
- If your Senator is on the subcommittee, please call and tweet at him or her and explain how the H-2B program allows you to maintain your American workforce. It is important that your Twitter messages are directed at your Senator. You can click on your Senator’s name below to be linked to his/her webpage for contact information.
- Ask your employees and other local businesses to also contact their Senators.
Senator Sessions (R-AL), Chairman
Senator Schumer (D-NY), Ranking Member
- 82% of H-2B visa workers are returning workers – proof that they are treated well. #saveH2B
- The H-2B program relies on workers who come to the U.S. for seasonal work, then go home. #saveH2B
- Every H-2B worker creates and sustains 4.64 American jobs #saveH2B
- #SaveH2B and save American Jobs!
- H-2B program = more American jobs. #saveH2B
- H-2B workers support American jobs. #saveH2B
Other H-2B Related Activities Next Week
- On Tuesday, June 7 at 10:30 am, the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, HHS, Education and Related Agencies will mark-up the FY17 funding bill. We are hopeful that language pertaining to the Department of Labor that was included in last year’s appropriations bill will once again be included in the Chairman’s bill.
- On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 10:30 am, the full Senate Appropriations Committee will take up Department of Labor appropriations bill for complete consideration.
- We also expect the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Homeland Security to soon announce plans to address the funding for the Department. We hope that the subcommittee will include again include an H-2B returning worker amendment in the legislation, but we need your help to make that happen.
- If your representative is on the subcommittee or is very supportive of the H-2B program, please encourage him or her to speak to Subcommittee Chairman Carter (R-TX) directly and ask him to include an H-3B returning worker exemption in the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations bill.
House Homeland Security Subcommittee Members
- John Carter (R-TX), Chairman
- John Culberson (R-TX)
- Rodney Frelinghuysen (R-NJ), Vice Chair
- Chuck Fleischmann, (R-TN)
- Andy Harris (R-MD)
- Chris Stewart (R-UT)
- David Young (R-IA)
- Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA), Ranking Member
- David Price, (D-NC)
- Henry Cuellar (D-TX)
- Marcy Kaptur (D-OH)
Thanks for your continued help to support the H-2B program.
H-2B Workforce Coalition Co-Chairs
Laurie Flanagan, Representing AmericanHort and the National Association of Landscape Professionals
Gregg Hartley, Representing the Outdoor Amusement Business Association
Brian Crawford, American Hotel and Lodging Association