The Landscape Contractors Association MD • DC • VA (LCA) helps increase visibility for landscape companies through its well-respected annual Excellence in Landscape Awards competition. Here is important information for entering your projects in this year's competition:
Entry Deadline: Wednesday, August 2, 2017
Grand, Distinction, and Honorable Mention Awards may be given in categories 1–13. More than one award of equal value may be given in each category.
- Total Residential Contracting--Front and Backyard: Single family residence
- Outdoor Living Area--Backyard or Special Area: Single family residence
- Front Residential Planting and Entranceway
- Residential Maintenance: Single family residence. Programmed care 12 months prior to entry. Minor duties may be performed by owner. One-time projects are not considered maintenance.
- Commercial Landscape Installation
- Commercial Maintenance: Programmed care 12 months prior to entry.
- Interior Landscape Installation
- Interior Landscape Maintenance: Programmed care 12 months prior to entry.
- Interior Containerized Plantings
- Craftsmanship: Outstanding examples of craftsmanship in landscape construction (e.g., walls, decks, gazebos, waterfalls).
- Ecological Plantings: Projects that involve the restoration, reclamation, or creation of natural landscapes that include function and value similar to native landscapes.
- Green Roof Installation:
- An extension of the existing roof involving high-quality waterproofing and root repellant system, drainage system, filter cloth, lightweight growing medium, and plants.
- Involves creating “contained” green space on top of a human-made structure. This green space could be below, at, or above grade, but in all cases, the plants are not planted in the ground.
- Components may be modular (prepared in movable, interlocking grids) or installed separately.
- Does not include rooftops utilizing free-standing containers or planters.
- Special Events: Short-term projects (both interior and exterior) that exhibit creativity in displays (e.g., Christmas planting, banquet, showroom, exhibit).
- Heritage and Decade:
- Indicates the highest level of achievement over time in award categories 1–10 listed above.
- Project must be of Grand Award-winning quality in its main award category but need not have won an Excellence in Landscape Award in a previous year to qualify.
- Select the Heritage Award category in addition to the project’s main award category (1–10 listed above) if your project was installed more than five years ago and is being entered by the original installer, or it has been continuously maintained by a maintenance firm for more than five years.
- Select the Decade Award category in addition to the project’s main award category (1–10 listed above) if your project was installed more than 10 years ago and is being entered by the original installer, or it has been continuously maintained by a maintenance firm for more than 10 years.
- Be prepared. Download the preparation checklist before you begin to make sure you have all the information needed before submitting.
- do NOT include company, contractor, subcontractor, or employee names in descriptions. Entries including this information will automatically be disqualified.
- Upload 10-15 high-resolution photos of the project. Photos must NOT show or display company names or logos on vehicles, clothing, hats, equipment, or landscape plans. Entries including photos with this information will automatically be disqualified. Total file size of all combined photos may not exceed 30MB. We recommend a size limit of 2MB per photo.
- For entries in the Installation category, not the date the project was completed.
- For entries in the Maintenance category, note the date maintenance began.
- For entries in the Design/Build categories, include a photo of the site plan.
- For entries in the Craftsmanship category, include at least five close-up photos to show detail.
- A minimum of 10 and maximum of 15 high-resolution photos must be uploaded for each entry.
- Each photo must be compressed to be less than 2MB.
- Photos must NOT show or display company names or logos on vehicles, clothing, hats, equipment, or landscape plans. Entries including photos with this information will automatically be disqualified.
- “Before” photos are strongly recommended.
- Interior entries are encouraged to submit detailed photos of drainage and watering systems in progress.
- All Design/Build entries must include a photo of the site plan as one of the required photos. For other entries, a site plan photo is highly recommended but not required.
- Craftsmanship entries must include at least five close-up shots showing details (e.g., joint connections, stone caps). Photos of detail drawings are also encouraged.
- Photos can not exceed a total combined size of 30MB, we recommend no more than 2MB per photo.
*All photos become the property of LCA and may be used for any purpose LCA deems appropriate. LCA accepts no responsibility for copyright or photographic fees.