Grand, Distinction, and Honorable Mention Awards may be given in categories 1–13. More than one award of equal value may be given in each category.
Total Residential Contracting—Front and Backyard: Single family residence
Outdoor Living Area—Backyard or Special Area: Single family residence
Front Residential Planting and Entranceway
Residential Maintenance: Single family residence. Programmed care 12 months prior to entry. Minor duties may be performed by owner. One-time projects are not considered maintenance.
Commercial Landscape Installation
Commercial Maintenance: Programmed care 12 months prior to entry.
Interior Landscape Installation
Interior Landscape Maintenance: Programmed care 12 months prior to entry.
Interior Containerized Plantings
Craftsmanship: Outstanding examples of craftsmanship in landscape construction (e.g., walls, decks, gazebos, waterfalls).
Ecological Plantings: Projects that involve the restoration, reclamation, or creation of natural landscapes that include function and value similar to native landscapes.
Green Roof Installation:
– An extension of the existing roof involving high-quality waterproofing and root repellant system, drainage system, filter cloth, lightweight growing medium, and plants.
– Involves creating “contained” green space on top of a human-made structure. This green space could be below, at, or above grade, but in all cases, the plants are not planted in the ground.
– Components may be modular (prepared in movable, interlocking grids) or installed separately.
– Does not include rooftops utilizing free-standing containers or planters.
Special Events: Short-term projects (both interior and exterior) that exhibit creativity in displays (e.g., Christmas planting, banquet, showroom, exhibit).
Heritage and Decade:
– Indicates the highest level of achievement over time in award categories 1–10 listed above.
– Project must be of Grand Award-winning quality in its main award category but need not have won an Excellence in Landscape Award in a previous year to qualify.
– Select the Heritage Award category in addition to the project’s main award category (1–10 listed above) if your project was installed more than five years ago and is being entered by the original installer, or it has been continuously maintained by a maintenance firm for more than five years.
– Select the Decade Award category in addition to the project’s main award category (1–10 listed above) if your project was installed more than 10 years ago and is being entered by the original installer, or it has been continuously maintained by a maintenance firm for more than 10 years.