Please Help! Last Two Days Before Key H-2B Vote!
Monday, June 20, 2016
Posted by: Julie Hill
Please call the Maryland Representatives below and urge them to VOTE YES ON A AN H-2B RETURNING WORKER AMENDMENT THAT WILL BE OFFERED ON WEDNESDAY BY REPS. HARRIS AND CUELLAR! The amendment would be a one-year extension of the current H-2B returning worker exemption through the FY17 Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Bill. A copy of the amendment is attached. You can reach you Representative through the Capitol Switchboard at 202-225-3121. Ask to speak to the staff person who handles the H-2B program. If your Representative is not on the list and he or she supports the H-2B program, please encourage him or her to reach out the Appropriations Committee leadership and express support for the amendment. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT MEMBERS HEAR FROM CONSTITUENTS IN THE STATE! CALLS FROM OUTSIDE THE STATE ARE NOT PARTICULARLY HELPFUL. TWEETING AT YOUR REPRESENTATIVE IS ALSO HELPFUL. SAMPLE TWEETS ARE BELOW.
Democrat: C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger
Republican: Andy Harris, MD
The best tweets are those that you can personalize to your member of Congress and be specific to the state. For example:
- @USRepRodney NJ seasonal businesses need an H-2B returning worker exemption. #SaveH2B
- @Robert_Aderholt AL seafood processors need an H-2B returning worker exemption. #SaveH2B
- @JudgeCarter TX landscapers need an H-2B returning worker exemption. #SaveH2B
You can find your Representative’s twitter address at: https://twitter.com/verified/lists/us-congress/members?lang=en
Additional Sample Tweets:
- 82% of H-2B visa workers are returning workers – proof that they are treated well. #saveH2B
- The H-2B program relies on workers who come to the U.S. for seasonal work, then go home. #saveH2B
- Every H-2B worker creates and sustains 4.64 American jobs #saveH2B
- #saveH2B and save American Jobs!
- H-2B program = more American jobs. #saveH2B
- H-2B workers support American jobs. #saveH2B